NEW CITY, N.Y. – A New City-based agency that serves people with disabilities will formally reveal its new name at ceremonies this weekend.
Rockland Independent Living Center, explaining the reason for the move, says people often mistakenly think that it offers housing.
Its board of directors made the decision earlier this year to change its name to better reflect its mission, which is to “to provide advocacy and leadership in the creation and development of an accessible and integrated community for people with disabilities, so that they may pursue lifestyles of their choice.”
Rockland residents may have noticed a truck with a huge promotional billboard rolling around the county recently.
It was just a prelude to the big “Roll It Out!” reveal from 2-5 p.m. Saturday at the Hudson Valley Harley-Davidson showroom at 33 Route 304 in Nanuet. To reach the showroom, call 845-627-5500.
The event will feature a partner agency expo for the public as well as food and entertainment.
The truck will keep traveling around the county until Saturday. The spots where it will be stopping can be found by visiting www.facebook.com/rilcinc .
Fliers will be distributed at the stops that will include information on how to get a free hot dog at the event and receive 10 percent off select Harley-Davidson merchandise.
The event is free, but RSVPs are encouraged. To let organizers know you’re coming, click here.
A confirmation email with a coupon for a free hot dog at the event and 10 percent off select Harley-Davidson merchandise will be sent to participants. It will go on rain or shine.
The schedule for activities at the event are:
- 2:15 p.m. : Harley-Davidson Motorcade.
- 2:20 p.m. : Opening ceremony by the Rockland County Sheriff’s Department Honor Guard and the Rockland County Choral Society.
- 2:25 p.m .: Introduction by Dr. David Jacobsen and special recognitions.
- 2:45 p.m. : Official unveiling of the new brand identify and tagline.
- 2:50 p.m. : Performance by Arlon Bennett and The Healing Project.
- 3 p.m .: Wheelchair dance performance by Roll Call Wheel Chair Dance Company.
- 3:30 p.m. : Graduation ceremony for the PFC Joseph P. Dwyer Vet to Vet Program 2.
- 5 p.m. : Partner agency expo. Food, music and other activities.
The event’s major sponsors are: Hudson Valley Harley-Davidson, Cintas, Active International, Connections Contact Center, PDI/Nice-Pak, Orange & Rockland, Ducey Insurance, AllBright Electric, GMG Public Relations, GoldKap Consulting, KLS Transportation, Birbrower & Beldock, Blauvelt Lions Club and Temple Beth Shalom.