ROCKLAND COUNTY, N.Y. - With the holiday season fast approaching, police are cautioning homeowners to be on the alert for “porch pirates,” who have been plaguing the area, stealing packages.
Police issued an alert to residents this week as reports continue to rise throughout the county of “porch pirates” who become more opportunistic as more packages begin to arrive as the holidays near.
According to police, “‘porch pirates’ are criminals who walk/drive around neighborhoods looking for unattended delivery packages that are left in front of houses and in apartment building lobbies. They quickly grab the package and leave the area before being spotted.“
In an effort to help homeowners combat “porch pirates,” they’ve offered advice to follow to avoid becoming a victim:
- Require a signature, if possible;
- Leave delivery instructions to place packages at a side or back door that is not visible to the street;
- Have a trusting neighbor or friend pick up and hold packages from the home until they can be retrieved;
- Have packages delivered to a workplace or a UPS/FedEx Store;
- Have packages delivered to a local family member who is home during the day;
- Invest in a lockbox or bag that delivery persons can place packages in, then lock.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.