ROCKLAND COUNTY, N.Y. -- A 43-year-old Ramapo podiatrist was sentenced Wednesday to five to 15 years in state prison for plotting with his girlfriend to have his wife killed, according to the Rockland County District Attorney's Office. Click here to read the entire story.
A 12-member jury found Town of Ramapo Supervisor Christopher St. Lawrence guilty on Friday of 20 of 22 federal charges of rigging the town's financial books in order to receive lower rates on bonds to finance a baseball stadium in Pomona and other town projects. Click here to read the entire story.
Here are some other top stories from this past week (click on the link to read the story):
- An 80-year-old Nyack man was killed early Thursday when a tree fell on his car on North Broadway, according to the Clarkstown Police.
- The $232.6 million proposed budget was overwhelmingly defeated, 9,986 to 1,441.
- A Spring Valley man was sentenced to 36 years to life in state prison Tuesday for the repeated rape of a 5-year-old girl, according to the Rockland County District Attorney's Office.
- A new tick-related warning has emerged. This time it's for seed ticks, or teeny-tiny ticks (think poppy seeds) that are still developing into adult ticks and parents are urged to be on the lookout.
- More than a dozen law enforcement officers from the Hudson Valley were among the near 200 men and women who were welcomed to the ranks of the New York State Police by Gov. Andrew Cuomo at the 205th session graduate ceremony.
- A search crew aboard a helicopter near the Bahamas found debris while looking for a private plane with four passengers aboard, including a Westchester native and New York City event space designer, her two young boys and a pilot after the aircraft disappeared Tuesday afternoon, officials said.
- The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and Department of Agriculture and Markets is expanding a quarantine of the transportation of ash wood in parts of the Hudson Valley and other parts of the state as it hopes to contain the spread of the emerald ash borer, a beetle that feeds on ash species.
- Hudson Valley resident Roger Ailes, the former president and chairman of Fox News, died Thursday morning at age 77.
- In an opinion piece for the Washington Post , Press Bharara, the former U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York turned scholar in residence at New York University Law School, praised recently ousted FBI Director and Hudson Valley native James Comey and laid out plans for President Donald Trump's administration to "restore faith in the rule of law."