CLARKTOWN, N.Y. -- Twenty-seven local enforcement officers were honored Thursday by Rockland County Executive Ed Day for collectively removing 338 drunk-drivers from area roadways during 2015.
Police from Ramapo, Spring Valley, Orangetown, Suffern, the Rockland Sheriff’s Department, New York State police Troop F and New York State Park police, were honored at the annual STOP-DWI Awards luncheon.
Each of the honorees made more than 10 drunk-driving arrests on Rockland roadways in 2015.
“A big thank you to all of our dedicated law enforcement officers who enforce Rockland’s zero tolerance for drunken drivers,” Day told the honorees. “We don’t want drunken drivers on our roads, threatening the safety of our families.”
Every drunk driver removed from the road meant a possible car crash averted, he added.
“That’s more than 338 crashes prevented and 338 people who weren’t hurt or killed by someone driving drunk,” he said.
STOP-DWI Coordinator Leslie Berger thanked the officers for enforcing Rockland’s zero tolerance policy toward drunken drivers.
"We will continue to educate our young people and members of the community on the risks and fatal consequences of drinking and driving," she said.
These are the top award winners:
- First Place – Rockland Sheriff’s Deputy James Russell: 28 arrests
- Second Place – Ramapo Police Officer Jonathan Quinn: 24 arrests
- Third Place – Ramapo Police Officer Chris Youngman: 22 arrests
Other police officers honored:
- 20 arrests each : Spring Valley Officer Jacqueline Blumfield, Trooper Thomas Tierney
- 18 arrests each : Trooper Shameed Yadali, Spring Valley Officer Shannon Hanson
- 17 arrests each : Sheriff’s Deputy Robert Moger, Trooper Daniel Balletto
- 16 arrests : Spring Valley Officer Khalid Parwanta
- 14 arrests : Spring Valley Officer Yakov Polowin
- 13 arrests : Orangetown Officer Joel Spoelstra
- 12 arrests eac h : Ramapo Officer Marc Lieman, Orangetown Officer Nicholas Whalen, Sheriff’s Deputy Chris Corbett, Trooper Ray Hasan
- 11 arrests each : Ramapo Officer Chris Hudak, Spring Valley Officer Albert Lopez, Trooper Kenneth Plate.
- 10 arrests each : Ramapo Officer Wayne Mitchell, Orangetown Officer Keith Trojan, Suffern Officer Andrew Yorke, Park police Officers Nelson Marti and James Flanagan, Troopers Christopher Kelly, Keith Fitzgerald, Frank Rose.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.