ROCKLAND COUNTY, N.Y. -- Here's a look at last week's top stories from around Rockland County.
- Gerard Benderoth, a popular strongman competitor and former Haverstraw and NYPD police officer, shot and killed himself after a traffic stop Wednesday morning, a close friend confirmed.
- A Haverstraw woman is behind bars Tuesday for stealing five designer handbags from the Lord & Taylor store at the Palisades Mall on Monday, police said.
- A 28-year-old Rockland County man was arrested by state police on Wednesday after he allegedly was caught masturbating in his car on Route 32 in Woodbury.
- U.S. Reps. Nita Lowey and Sean Patrick Maloney joined Sen. Charles Schumer on Tuesday in expressing concern about the latest freight train derailment that injured two CSX crew members as the southbound train passed through Newburgh en route to Rockland County, and ultimately Georgia.
- Aaron Troodler, the former director of the Ramapo Local Development Corporation, pleaded guilty Tuesday to charges he conspired with Ramapo Town Supervisor Christopher St. Lawrence to commit securities fraud in connection with a scheme to fund the town's baseball stadium.
- Rockland Lake State Park is undergoing a $13 million upgrade, which entails a swimming pool replacement and a remodeling job of the park's office and boating bathhouse.
- A Garnerville man who owned several taxi companies and four other people were charged Wednesday in a brazen scheme to defraud state and county agencies of more than $95,000 in benefits.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.