CONGERS, N.Y. -- A Congers man cooking dinner was injured and his home heavily damaged when he left a pan of grease unattended, sending flames into the kitchen cabinets and then to the attic, according to Congers Fire Chief Jason DiSalvo.
Conger's firefighters received the call around 9:45 p.m. Sunday for a fire at 96 Lakewood Drive and were greeted with heavy fire in the roof of the two-story house, DiSalvo said.
DiSalvo said the resident received burns to his arms as he tried to put out the fire after he accidentally left a pan of grease on the stove too long, DiSalvo said.
A few minutes later, the man heard what he thought was grease popping, went back to the kitchen and found the pan with grease and several kitchen cabinets on fire, DiSalvo added.
Within minutes the fire moved to the attic area. The two-story house received significant damage on the second floor and water damage on the first floor, he said.
The man was taken to Nyack Hospital for treatment for his burns.
Congers received assistance from New City, Valley Cottage, Haverstraw, and West Nyack fire departments and Rockland Paramedics, DiSalvo said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.