Something as simple as a working smoke detector could have made a huge difference in the outcome of a three-alarm fire that left a historic City of Newburgh home in ruins, according to City of Newburgh Fire Chief Terry Ahlers,
"It's sad when one of the last pieces of Newburgh history of this type is claimed by fire," Ahlers said. "Hopefully, they will be able to rebuild the home.
The fire, which started around 2:30 a.m. Wednesday at 420 Grand St., started on the second-floor of the 8,000-square-foot home that was built in 1900.
Ahlers said firefighters arrived within minutes of the first alarm and found fire on the second floor and the entire third-floor engulfed in flames, causing the department to send out a second, and then third alarm for help.
The two residents of the home were able to escape without injury, he added.
Firefighters had to take the firefight outside after the two top floors were consumed by fire, he said.
"There is extensive damage on the top two floors and the roof and the first floor has water damage," the chief said.
The fire was under control by 4:24 a.m. and firefighters were back in station by 7:20 a.m.
All city of Newburgh firefighters were on scene, and multiple departments responded to the scene to help, including West Point, Vails Gate, Goodwill and the Stewart Air National Guard. In addition, Orange Lake, New Windsor, and Middle Hope firefighters were on standby at the city fire stations, the chief said.
The fire was caused by a power strip located on the second floor, the chief said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.