WEST NYACK, N.Y. -- The achievements of hundreds of youth and adult learners were celebrated this month in a series of graduation and completion ceremonies at Rockland BOCES.
Calling the students “great examples of academic and vocational achievement,” BOCES official Mary Jean Marsico said Thursday that it was their “time to be recognized for their hard work and determination.”
On Tuesday, BOCES recognized 800 plus adults who had completed vocational, English language and high school equivalency programs.
Marisco said it is especially tough for adults to complete these programs because of family and job commitments.
Many “have faced great adversity and truly believe that education is the path to a better life,” she said.
The previous Friday, County Executive Ed Day addressed students who had overcome learning and other disabilities to graduate from the Jesse J. Kaplan School in West Nyack.
On June 8, BOCES held a recognition ceremony for 242 Career and Tech grads in West Nyack.
More than $1 million in scholarships and awards from colleges and civic organizations were handed out.
Special honors went to the following:
- Corin Geoghegan , a medical and nursing fundamentals student (Tappan Zee High School), received the Julius Denton Scholarship Award, the DeMeola Memorial Scholarship Award and the St. Joseph's College Academic Scholarship ($120,000).
- Natalia Dobrenko , a new vsions health careers exploration student (Suffern High School), received the William A. Coffey Award and the Marist College Alumni and International Scholarship ($100,000).
- Marie Boutin , a medical and nursing fundamentals student (Nyack High School), received a SUNY Brockport Scholarship ($92,000).
- Ritwik Baksi , a new visions health careers exploration student (Clarkstown North High School), received the $88,000 Henry Rutgers & Trustee Award.
- Sinead Reilly , a medical and nursing fundamentals student (Clarkstown North HIgh School), received a $48,000 Sacred Heart Academic Scholarship.
- Nicole Shaw , a new visions health careers exploration student (North Rockland High School), received the Lower Hudson Council of School Superintendents award, the Victor Ridder Memorial Scholarship and the SUNY Oneonta Upstate Medical Presidential Scholarship ($28,400).
- Christina Scavetta, a culinary arts student (Pearl River High School), received a $20,000 Newbury College Culinary Award.
- Nanuet High School seniors Brendan O'Brien (auto technology II) and Sherece Hoillette (cosmetology II) were awarded the Riversville Foundation Scholarship for full tuition to Rockland Community College.
- Christina Hanos , a new visions health careers Exploration student (Clarkstown South High School), received the Dr. Johnson Memorial Scholarship Award, the Pfizer Award, the Rensselaer Leadership Award, the Rockland County Medical Society award and the AHEPA Chapter 455 Scholarship
- Helene Krane Memorial Scholarships were presented to Kaitlyn Perry (Suffern High School), Courtney Collins (Tappan Zee High School) and Matthew Maddalena ( Monroe-Woodbury High School).
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.