ROCKLAND COUNTY, N.Y. -- Decked out in everything from tutu's to scuba gear and fancy swimsuits, the Stony Point Seals are getting ready to take their annual plunge into the frigid waters of Hudson River on Sunday, Feb. 5 to raise money for local children with extreme medical needs.
Now in its 18th year, this year's event on Super Bowl Sunday at the Grassy Point seawall will benefit Angelica Hicks, Aiyanna Faria, and Aris Gomez.
- Hicks is a 10-year-old who has suffered from Hirschsprung disease since she diagnosed with it as an infant. Hirschsprung disease is a condition that affects the large intestine and causes Angelica to have abdominal problems and will need more surgeries.
- Faria, 14, was diagnosed with Dyke-Davidoff-Masson syndrome in 2009, because of her condition, Aiyanna has between 10 and 15 seizures per day which can be accompanied by dizziness, migraines, and vomiting.
- Gomez, 18, has been an active volunteer at the Theills firehouse since his early teens. At the age of 15, his life dramatically changed when he suffered a brain aneurysm, paralyzing the right side of his body. He still needs to have more surgeries to control the bleeding is his brain.
When the event first started 18 years ago, seven brave souls waded into the water, said event trustee Mike Lydon.
"The cops thought we were crazy people, Lydon said with a laugh. "Last year we had 320 people and raised more than $49,000."
Lydon said the group is able to put on the event thanks to a long list of volunteers that include Supervisor Jim Monaghan, representatives from Stony Point and Haverstraw police departments, Stony Point Fire Department, and dive team. ambulance, highway departments, the Haverstraw Transit and many volunteers who brave the cold just to help.
"We couldn't do it without all of the help and with all of the doom and gloom in the world right now, this event sends a message to the children there is still good in the world," he said. "People do care."
Visitors and participants are encouraged to take the shuttle bus service being offered from:
- Commuter parking across from Lynch’s Restaurant
- Halligan’s Bar parking lot (by Chase Bank)
- Town Hall Main Street
In addition to the plunge, there will be food, music, 50 / 50 raffle tickets on sale at Dee’s Deli, Fireside Restaurant, Halligan’s Bar, B’s Nest Deli and Babe’s Bar and Grill!
- 1st prize $ 2,500.00
- 2nd prize $ 1,500.00
- 3rd prize $ 500.00
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.