CLARKSTOWN, N.Y. -- The Historical Society of Rockland County is calling for nominations of individuals, organizations, businesses and municipal representatives for their contribution to the preservation of Rockland's historical and cultural heritage.
Now in its 26th year, the Rockland County Executive's Historic Preservation Merit Awards, presented during National Historic Preservation Month in May, recognize outstanding historic preservation efforts in Rockland County.
Activities, projects and phases of projects that have been completed in the past 10 years are eligible for nomination. The different awards categories include:
- The Margaret B. and John R. Zehner Award for Historic Contribution: For contributions to the county's history and for underscoring the value of historic preservation to the community.
- Preservation Leadership: For individuals, groups and government agencies that display outstanding leadership or continuing contribution to the preservation of historic resources in Rockland County.
- Preservation/Restoration: Preservation is the maintenance of the historic form, appearance and materials of a property. Restoration is accurately recovering the form or details of a property and its setting as it appeared at a particular period.
- Continuing Use: Suitable for well-preserved commercial, industrial and civic structures still used for original or similar functions that have retained their architectural integrity due to continued and sensitive maintenance.
- Adaptive Use: For successfully rehabilitating a property to a state of utility through repair or sympathetic alterations that make an efficient new use possible while preserving those portions or features of the property that are significant to its historical, architectural and cultural values.
- Rescue: For historic sites or structures rescued from possible demolition and being reclaimed for further use.
- Artisan: In recognition of those craftsmen, such as tinsmiths, masons, carpenters, and finishers, who use traditional materials and methods in the preservation process.
Nominations must be submitted to the HSRC with photographs and supporting information, be within Rockland County and have historical or architectural significance by March 2.
Winners will be invited to attend the awards ceremony and country supper on Sunday, May 15.
Submissions with supporting materials can be mailed to: County Executive's Historic Preservation Merit Awards c/o Historical Society of Rockland County, 20 Zukor Road, New City, NY 10956.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.