ROCKLAND COUNTY, N.Y. -- Here's a look at last week's top stories from around Rockland County.
- Twelve-year-old Suffern resident Grace VanderWaal won NBC's talent competition "America's Got Talent."
- A Suffern duplex is about to become a single-family property after the state moves through with its plan to demolish the half of the building it purchased in August.
- The unofficial results for Rockland County's primary elections have Aron Wieder and Ellen Jaffee as the winners in their respective Assembly races, according to the Rockland County Board of Elections.
- The Nyack Chamber of Commerce recently announced details for the upcoming Nyack Halloween Parade, scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 29.
- The new documentary "Man in Red Bandana" highlights the heroics of Upper Nyack resident Welles Remy Crowther, who was responsible for saving at least 10 people during the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.
- A 74-year-old Suffern property developer was arrested recently on hate crime charges after he made anti-Semitic threats towards a Jewish real estate agent on Aug. 31, according to Ramapo Police Capt. Marty Reilly.
- A 30-year-old Manhattan man was arrested by Clarkstown Police for holding a knife to the throat of a Prestige Taxi driver and demanding she take him to New York City, said Pete Walker, spokesman for the Clarkstown Police Department.
- A train fire onboard a southbound freight train, caused the train to stall on the tracks about a half-mile north of the Lake Road Congers train crossing on Wednesday morning.
- A Monsey man has been arrested in a murder-for-hire scheme in which two men were charged with hiring a hitman to kill a Hasidic man who refused to give his wife a religious divorce, according to multiple reports.
- A West Point cadet and Army football player was killed in a one-car accident in Croton.
- Stony Point police arrested a 62-year-old man on a criminal mischief charge that stemmed from a domestic dispute, authorities said.
- Matthew J. McCune, a Stony Point resident who retired as a captain with the Rockland County Sheriff's Department, died at age 56 .
- Police arrested a 47-year-old Tappan man after he allegedly broke into an apartment using a hammer and resisted arrest.
- A local massage parlor was closed by the town of Ramapo after police made an arrest on a prostitution charge at the business on Main Street.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.