CLARKSTOWN, N.Y. -- Students across the Clarkstown school district participated in the 2016 Nick Serra Invention and Design Convention on Tuesday.
The event was held at Felix Festa Middle School, where inventors in grades one through six were invited to share their original ideas for an invention, from the concept stage to a completed model project.
Their work was judged on the originality, the usefulness and the oral explanation and presentation of the idea by the student. Awards were given for each grade level with six students at Lakewood Elementary chose to participate. Those awarded were:
- Zachary Gottlieb (grade 5), “Butter Cutter.”
- Ayomide Folowosele (grade 4), “Slipper Mop and Butter Stick.”
- Leah Gottlieb (grade 3 ,) first-place award for the grade, “Butter Stick.”
- Skylar Dykhuizen (grade 3), second-place award for the grade, “Hairband-Dispenser Hairbrush.”
- Abigail King (grade 3), third-place award for the grade, "Sole Saver.”
- Peter Calabrese (grade 3), “Automatic Fish Feeder.”
The event was a great opportunity for all students to develop their problem-solving skills through the invention and design process.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.