In order to make things easier for drivers over the long Labor Day weekend, there will be no construction-related lane closures on or near the Tappan Zee Bridge construction site, the state Thruway Authority said Tuesday.
This directive runs from Thursday morning, Sept. 1 to Tuesday morning, Sept. 6.
The move was made in accordance with Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s initiative, “Drivers First.”
Launched in 2012, it prioritizes the convenience of motorists so that traffic disruptions are kept at a minimum, the Authority said.
However, certain maintenance, safety and security work will continue in the area this week and during the weekend, however, the Authority said.
Tappan Zee Constructors, LLC (TZC) has rescheduled work on a new drainage system under the westbound/northbound New York State Thruway (I-87/I-287) this week, the Authority said.
The project will necessitate the closing of the northbound Thruway's exit 9 (Tarrytown - Sleepy Hollow - US Route 9) on-ramp from Route 119 overnight Tuesday, Aug. 30, and Wednesday, Aug. 31, and next week after the holiday weekend.
According to the Authority, drivers will be detoured approximately one mile east on Route 119 to access the northbound Thruway. The exit 9 off-ramp to Route 119 will remain accessible from the northbound Thruway, it said.
The month-long operation will also require regular overnight lane closures of up to three northbound lanes of the Thruway from exit 8A (Elmsford - NY Route 119 - Saw Mill River Parkway North) to the Tappan Zee Bridge, the Authority said.
The work will involve pavement removal, soil/rock excavation, drainage pipe installation, backfilling and paving.
All southbound lanes will remain open at all times during the operation.
TZC will retract the shoulder barrier on the southbound Thruway near exit 10 (Nyack - South Nyack - US Route 9W) during an overnight operation, the Authority said.
Because of this, the right lane of the southbound Thruway between exit 11 (Nyack - South Nyack - US Route 9W) to the South Broadway bridge past exit 10, will be closed between 8 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 30, and 5 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 31.
The Thruway listed the following dates, times and locations for lane closures;
- Northbound Thruway exit 8A to the Tappan Zee Bridge: Wednesday, Aug. 31. 8 p.m. one left lane, 9 p.m. two left lanes, 11 p.m. three left lanes. These will end at 7 a.m. Thursday, Sept 1.
- Northbound Thruway exit 9. Wednesday, Aug. 31. 8 p.m., one lane, ending 5 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 1.
- Northbound Thruway, exit 8A to Tappan Zee Bridge. Tuesday, Sept. 6. 7 p.m., one lane, 8 p.m. two right lanes, 9 p.m. three right lanes, ending 5 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 8.
- Northbound Thruway exit 9. On-ramp closure. Tuesday, Sept. 6, 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 7.
- Northbound Thruway exit 8A. Wednesday, Sept. 7. 7 p.m., one lane, 8 p.m., two lanes. 9 p.m. three lanes, ending Thursday, Sept. 8 at 5 a.m.
- Northbound Thruway, exit 9. Wednesday, Sept. 7. On-ramp closure, 8 p.m. to 5 a.m., Thursday, Sept. 8.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.